Sunday, January 29, 2012

Dublin, Ireland - 2006

Friday, January 15

Why we decided to leave on this day, I do not know. However, we would reap the consequences later on. Jay and I woke up at about six to catch the early morning train out to Carcassonne from Toulouse. After crossing some beautiful French country side we made it to Carcassonne with enough time to walk from the train station to the airport and to explore a bit of the city. An absolutely charming medieval town, I tried to imagine how different my life would be if I had grown up in a place such as this. Finally arriving at the airport, which was practically set up in someone’s backyard (no sacrifice is too great for cheap tickets), we were off to Ireland. 

Even upon setting down, the lush greenery of everything that grows in this place was unmistakable. The little farms and rows of earth were shrouded in a thick fog that added to the mystery of this land.  

Now down on the ground we would be heavily relying on our sense of spontaneity and discernment as we had made no arrangements for our stay in the city. We hopped on a bus into the center of town and met an Irish girl who mentioned a youth hostel where we should stay. Getting off at Trinity College, we supposed that this might be a good place to begin our tour of the city.  Absolutely one of the most beautiful universities that I have ever seen, the college was founded in 1952 and is the oldest university in Ireland. 

Next we walked across the Liffey River and down the street and happened to run into the very youth hostel that the girl on the bus had mentioned to us. What luck ! It was located on the river and the price was right. After checking in and both being a bit exhausted, we decided to see an American movie before calling it a night. Sometimes I am so grateful for globalization. 

Saturday, January 14

The best thing about staying in a youth hostel is that you never know who you are going to meet. I woke up to find myself speaking Spanish to some guy from Argentina and French to a man from Mont Pilier. Everyone that stays in a youth hostel is young and they are all there for the some reason, a desire to see the world.  These two qualities alone can make it a lot of fun. 

That afternoon I set off with Jay to explore the city.  Ireland was great. The people, not quite as friendly as their American counterparts, all spoke in their funny little Irish accents, which momentarily made up for any lack of hospitality. It was so nice to hear English from native speakers as opposed to the cheap imitation of the British accent that the French work so diligently to achieve.  

Dublin itself, however, was the least impressive of any of the cities I have visited in Europe so far. It is a bit difficult to explain as it does carries many attributes of the greater European cities, and yet it is somehow missing the splendor.  For example, one of the few monuments there is a large metal spire which reaches to greater heights than the rest of the city’s architecture. It is 120 meters tall or 393 ft and was just recently built in 2003. Aptly named the Spire of Dublin and commonly referred to as the spike,  I couldn’t help but thinking that it was really just a large flag pole. It is as if someone said, “Hey, this city needs a monument. We’ve got no space and a hundred Euro. Any ideas?” 

We took tours of the National Museum of Ireland, the Saint Patrick’s Cathedral of 450AD, and the Christchurch, erected about a century later. We also saw the Chimney viewing tower, the Custom Visitor Centre, the Dublin Castle, and Dublinia with its reproduction of the ancient Viking world. Later we did a bit of shopping and I purchased a chess set, as I am now doing in every new country that I visit. 

As night was falling (quickly as it does in Ireland), Jay and I decided to check out the traditional Irish pub. We first went to the Brazen Head. Constructed in 1192, it is made of stone and is still illuminated by rod iron torches.  After visiting a few more pubs we realized that the traditional Irish pub or any pub for that matter isn’t really all that fun if you are too poor to drink. Consequently, we left and resided ourselves to a game of chess on my new board before hitting the hay.

Sunday, January 15 
 
All this time Jay and I had had extremely good luck, a luck which might have continued if we had not mentioned it until we had gotten home. After complimenting ourselves on our ability to fly by the seat of our pants and our good fortune, we headed off to the airport. Unfortunately, we arrived seven minutes too late. Although our plane would not be leaving for another forty minutes and had probably not even arrived at the gate, and although none of the passengers had yet boarded the plane, it was a Ryanair policy (no sacrifice is too great for cheap tickets). Spontaneity does not make up for stupidity. To add to the situation, I had been growing steadily more sick all weekend and I was beginning to pay for all the lack of sleep. Of course, I intended to make up for all of this once back in France. However, with the next flight out not until the following morning, it was looking like we would be spending the night in the airport. 

After frustratingly dropping another 60 Euro for a transfer flight, hearing Jay wishing for a massage from his girlfriend, and me longing for my bed, we decided that we were in need of a psychological break. So…it was back to the movie theater to check out another American film. Surprisingly, this did the trick. After a cheesy feel good American movie and a quick dinner, we were able to accept our fate. Jay headed back to the airport for the night and I decided to head go out and make the most of my last night in Dublin. 

This actually turned out to be my favorite night in the city. I was lucky enough to find some French people who worked at the French Embassy of Dublin. I had a quick introduction to some of their Irish friends over dinner and then we all went out dancing. After much insistence, I tried my first Irish whiskey (Not too shabby).  Needless to say, I ended up having quite a bit of fun and making some new friends. Lesson learned: when things fall apart it all depends on your attitude in turning it around. 

Monday, January 16

Jay and I were the first people to arrive at the boarding station that morning, tickets and passport in hand. I had never more greatly felt that France was home until we arrived that morning. Back in Carcassonne we decided to visit its fortified castle. Originally built by the Romans in 122BC, the castle is surrounded by a mote and an inner and outer wall. It looks just like something I would have built from legos as a kid. Still filled with shops and an ancient church, it is the miniature medieval town that it always was.  This was a pleasant reentry into France. We then took the train back across the French countryside in order to get to Toulouse. Sensing the ever nearer presence of my bed, I slept for sixteen hours once we were finally reacquainted. It would have been longer had it not been for work the next morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment