Sunday, January 29, 2012

Madrid, Spain - 2005

December 8 though 11

I arrived in Madrid on a Thursday. I got there early, about eight in the morning and after orienting myself a bit, headed directly for the Museo del Prado. This Museum, one of the largest exhibitions of art in the world, was in itself very impressive. After following a paid tour without paying (within which I was eventually caught and asked to leave) I learned quite a bit concerning Valezquez and Spanish art during the 15th and 16th century. 

Upon leaving the museum located on the Paseo del Prado, I took my first peek at the city in daylight. While I did not see the Moorish architecture that I had expected, as I later learned is mostly in the Southern Spain, I did find Greek and Roman classical style architecture done in Spanish flair. The wealth of ornamentation is magnificent. I could have spent hours just looking at the intricate stone carvings cut out of the façades. The city was immaculate which I did not anticipate. Everything was freshly polished and painted. I then went to the Real Jardín Botánico which contains plants from all around the world. I was inspired to sit down and write a poem, but failed miserably. However, I had the rest of Spain at my fingertips. 

It was at about this time that the city started to arise and I knew that I was in Spain. Latin energy is like none other in the world. Life in Spain is like a dance and in the midst of all the dynamics and the energy, I could not help but play the part. I definitely saw the cultural mentality that has saturated the Latin American continent. 

My lame excuse for a tourist guide book led me to the Plaza Mayor. This was supposed to be the beginning of a walking tour, but I could never find the next street. Anyhow, at the center of this square constructed in 1916 sits an elegant equestrian statue of Philippe III. One of the buildings, an old outdoor market, has murals that completely cover the exterior. It is over the top, as is the Spanish charm, and impressive, nonetheless. At the time I was there, the square was filled with outdoor markets and so many people that I could scarcely find room to stand (a pickpocket’s paradise). The big selling item seemed to be brightly colored wigs which everyone who is anyone wore throughout the day. I, however, was not anyone that day. 

I was able to find lodging at the Puerta del Sol. The meeting center of about six or seven streets in Spain, it is a cornerstone for shopping. All decked out for Christmas, I was really lucky to be there. The youth hostel was only twenty Euro and the Spanish lady complemented my ability to speak “castellano” (even though I more accurately speak “mexicano”) but, nevertheless, I took it as a sign of good fortune. It was in this center that I finally met up with Jake, my friend who was staying in the city at the time.  

He and some of his Spanish friends took me to the Parque del Buen Retiro. The Central Park of Spain, this was a beautiful sight. Spanish fountains and parks have proven to be some of the best in Europe. We spoke in Spanish, a language I am increasingly enamoured with, and the evening was well passed. 

The next day we went to the Museo Nactional de Arte Reina Sofia. This is truly a collection of art. I think this may rival what I have seen in France with the possible exception of the Louvre. This was preceded by the Palacio Real. This great palace of the kings was built after the liberation from the Moors. I was able to meander through the gardens imagining the life of the Spanish kings who lived there so many years before. It was here that I ran into a couple of authentic Spanish dancers. Spain loves outdoor shows (that I knew from Barcelona) but they are often disappointing. This couple, however, was the exception. After a sufficient crowd had gathered, they pumped up the music and performed with all the passion, tension, and intensity that is so typical of Spanish dancing. I was impressed. 

The following day I was on my own. So where does Travis go when alone in a big city with nothing to do? The Zoo. This was actually one of the highlights in my trip to Spain. The Zoo-aquarium of Madrid is one of the greatest concentrations of animals in the world. I was in my own little personal paradise. While entertaining myself with learning all the names of the animals in Spanish, practically the same as in English, I had a great time. After spending most of the afternoon there, I then walked through the Casa del Campo on may way home. This huge urban park proved to be a quite a charming promenade. 

In the evening I headed to the Museo Archeleologico Nacional and had my fill of early Spanish history. The European period just before the advance of the Roman Empire seems to increasingly interest me as I travel abroad. I am curious as to how the nuances in tribal influences have affected the development of the modern day languages and cultures that currently exist in these areas. 

That night I finally went out. Chueca, the center for discotecas and good eating was a lot of fun. The Spanish reputation for not beginning the “noche” until two in the morning and then never sleeping was definitely upheld. Multi-colored lights and their corresponding outdoor markets line the streets. The energy is intoxicating and so is the cerveza. 

Madrid has become a new favorite. I am truly blessed to be able to travel will such facility throughout Europe, a memory in my young adult life that I will always take with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment